Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Perils of Facebook

People today, in all this new world technology and thinking, have lost sight of what a true friendship is. In fact, we've pretty much become a computer-generated society that allows websites to dictate who we are, what we want, who we want, and how to run our lives and relationships. We've almost become a mindless society at times. I posed a question the other day to someone. "What did we all do before Facebook?" Seriously, how did we survive? Are we to be transformed into some kind of social network facebook robots?


Ok, so I admit that I was once a even a myspace addict. You know, the one that wakes up in the middle of the night and you got it, signs on. The one who wakes up first thing in the morning and knows you're running late and, signs on. The one who gets home from work and, signs on. Alright, so you got the picture. At one time myspace was running me rather than me running it. When it comes down to it, there is the age old arguement that television rots your brain, but I am beginning to wonder if social networking does the same. However, I do know one thing for sure, it can definitely rot your relationship. I've seen it bring people together just as quickly as it and tears them apart.


I'm still sitting here drinking my french vanilla coffee and guess what? Nothing really has changed since I've checked back in, accept for the fact that I have realized what true friendship is and of course, haven't experienced the perfect kiss or found true love. I admit that I'm a bit surprised at some, and highly disappointed in others. It's definitely been an eye-awaking trip. What it all boils down to is some of my conclusions are based on networking drama, both directly and indirectly.

 
In my emotional journey here, I have also concluded that although I have made some good friends online, it hasn't brought me love and really isn't fulfilling my needs these days (other than the opportunity at this second to vent my frustration). Truthfully, I'd rather someone love me or like me for me, not what my profile says. Sure, it's an avenue of self-expression and public communication, but is it really me? Wouldn't it be better to get to know the person sitting behind the computer rather than the one on the computer?


Social networks like myspace and facebook are notorious for infiltrating culture. It creates a psuedo-reality so to speak. The thoughts behind the profile is created by the person to generate an image of reality, sometimes true and sometimes not. The real world person that controls the profile is now playing god with their online counterpart, who now has an identity separate from and beyond the real world person. In the wonderful world of myspace you have the power to be whomever you want regardless of your life events or circumstances. Really, just take a few pictures from 3-4 angles, slap them on with a profile you control, whether it's lengthy and detailed, or short and unpolished, and *poof* there you go! This pseudo-world of images allows your real life and the life suggested by imagery to be completely detached and irreconcilable. It doesn't matter if I'm not really what my profile suggests, because you see my profile MORE than you see me in my day-to-day life. From your point of view, I AM my profile.


Some of you may see this as an expression of freedom, allowing your identity to transcend the boundaries of the physical world, allowing you to become what you never could in real life. But in all reality, this kind of freedom is a lie. This freedom only exists for the individual in "Lie-Space", not the the real individuals that we are in real life. While your online personality is accomplishing great things and making impressions on lots of people, your real self is rotting behind a computer, spending more time developing an identity of images instead of an identity of the real person. Each minute we spend is a minute taken from real space.

In conclusion, computer generated pictures and texts are easily misinterpreted at times. We have allowed ourselves to become a culture that depends on things like this to make our friendships, find love, and determine our happiness. At the same time, we also allow a computer-generated website to tear us down and ruin our relationships. Sure, I'm not a perfect girl with that perfect facebook bot barbie body, but I am real. Therefore, I have decided right here, right now, to not depend on this psuedo-world to fulfill my need for love and acceptance. I'd much rather someone get to know me for me, not what my profile (although as true as it is) states. Let me show you rather than read about it. Get to know me for me. The REAL me, and I can guarantee that it'll be much more satisfying than sitting here reading about it.